Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Trondors Trivia     The FistCast 

Board index » 1st Fist of Light Forums » Other Games

Post subject: ESO Players?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:43 am 

Ok, with Elder Scrolls Online coming out next month I was wondering if the guild will be playing it, what Faction are we going to decide on, and general Background of the guild in ESO.

Personally I have no issues what alliance as I have the Imperial Edition and can play any Race. I'll either be Playing as a Bosmer (Kelindale) or a Dunmer (Dipree)

After playing the Beta, I didn't get to test the PvP area but it is getting fantastic reviews, apparently its like DAOC RvR but with tons of polish and destructable Areas which sounds fun. Anyways after playing the Beta I can say I enjoyed the game. Its fun, combat is nice, the UI is clean, animations are good, they put in Collision Detection with NPC's which is nice, the trinity is still there but there is no cookie cutter builds, and class build customization is pretty Nice. Also the questing feels like an ES game with an MMO feel still there. They use Phasing Tech so after a quest is finished it feels like you've impacted the world a bit from your Characters point of view which is also nice.

I don't know what else to say about it but the NDA has been lifted so if anyone else has any Pos/Neg Feedback I would love to hear it.

Post subject: Re: ESO Players?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:42 pm 

I've been keeping an eye on ESO since there is some discussion here about playing. I have to say there are some points of concern for me though, and they run the gambit of being my concerns for nearly every game I have encountered in the post EQ era. Except maybe Aion. While I like the art direction and the RVR of DAOC was fun there's some other stuff that could be a game killer.

What about the difficulty of the game? While watching twitch I noticed most people ran their characters solo. Is it a matter of fact that your build really doesn't impact how successful you are in solo combat? You would think that certain classes and certain builds would simply not be able to compete solo against the AI at all. That was the case with my rogue in EQ. It was impossible to solo and I had to form parties for every facet of xp generation after orc hill.

What's the synergy between the party and the questing system? Its been a major point of dissatisfaction for me that when you have a heavily quest based MMO you eventually find that getting the job done means your party has become an inconvenience (Defiance). The party isn't on the same quest, -can't participate in the same quest-, is involved in inventory and thereby wasting valuable time over and against one of the innumerable quests that must be completed. More succinctly: It's just better to play solo because you get more done and the party is more decorative than functional anyway.

That's basically the guts of my concern anyway; that we'll purchase a game with the best intentions of forming groups and parties only to find external pressures continually insinuating it's a bad idea and irrelevant to completing the majority of the work. That's a real game killer and the modus operandi of modern gaming.

One further point. Yes raids and dungeons may necessarily call for parties, but it's the more mundane grouping where parties can be changed in and out as people either join or leave that real team building gets done.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:52 am 

It seems to be the norm nowadays that openwold questing is Solo Content, Dungeon is grouping and Endgame PvE is Raiding. For the RvR content grouping is a must in large scale battles. I too miss the grouping of EQ but the trade off is a game built for more than one playstyle.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:31 pm 

I think that's a recipe for disaster. RvR is tantamount to zerging and the token dungeons never stress parties into epic conflicts... Not that I've played ESO.

I guess all that's left to do is bite my tongue and see how they did :P. I mean it's not fair to judge them already is it? I will judge them on this though, it's not fair I can't play imperial without paying extra cash! IF I work it out I'll run Sophrosen as an imperial fighter.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:24 pm 

The way Keep PvP is Designed, Zerging won't work. You need Siege weapons to even dent the Battlements.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:21 pm 

I'm now fully locked in to the ESO universe. I hope this game doesn't disappoint :P

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 am 

The game didn't run well enough I'm afraid. Sorry Kelindale, but I was credited the funds and dropped my account.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:43 am 

well I just got this yesterday and am giving it a go. I have an Argonian named Lectral if anyone wants to look me up.

Also started a Kajit named Xantham Lightbringer, so ill be on that too, probably playing that all night tonight

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:41 am 

Xantham whats you @name?

Mines @Kelindale

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:37 pm 

pretty sure it is @xantham434, whenever the server goes up ill log in and add you.

Board index » 1st Fist of Light Forums » Other Games