Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Trondors Trivia     The FistCast 

Board index » 1st Fist of Light Forums » Other Games

Post subject: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:43 pm 

Oh yes ladies and gentleman, oh yes indeed. There is something I want to bring to your attention, to awe and amaze and fill that downtime with some internet perusing.

From the creator of EverQuest (my favorite mmo ever in its older incarnations), Brad McQuaid has launched a kickstarter page for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen which promises hardcore group based high-fantasy play.

http://kotaku.com/everquest-creator-see ... 1500915032

and the kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/158 ... the-fallen

Projected for 2017... Not that incredibly long development times scared anyone here away.

Post subject: Re: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:59 pm 

Had to start following this! I like what Im hearing. :bounce:

"Heart of Steel, Blood of Fire"

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:26 pm 

So here we are, EverQuest Next is a dead horse.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen yet trudges through the mud of development with its current evolutionary form displayed thus: https://www.twitch.tv/visionaryrealms/v/53850665

It's remarkable how closely they're taking their cues from EverQuest proper.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:31 pm 

Looks good for pre-alpha. I like where they're wanting to go with it. Certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:30 am 

I just want to remind everybody that Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is still a work in progress and still making progress. A project of passion it seems, perhaps, finally, and mmo will be the proverbial WoW killer... *yoinkz* *yoinkz* *yoinkz*! anyway, Hope all is well

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:41 pm 
The Godfather

It's Brad, trying to make another EQ1, it's going to be the same thing... only he didn't learn the first time around that RPing and uberness cannot coexist. That was one of the greatest things that EQ1 taught. Because of that I won't bother with it. Not to mention forced grouping? No thanks. I didn't even like that in DDO as much as I loved DDO for what it was. I'll pass. If they have a free to play version, ok, I'll try it out.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:47 am 

Well, I'm really not sure what to say about it. Forced grouping is bad? Yeah, well, in life I suppose there are those paths we all must decide not to travel simply because we can't do it by ourselves.

For such material I'll turn your attention to the saga of Geralt the Witcher. Look, if you want to play a video game that has background, lore, and is something you can sink your time into without regard to other individuals then I would invite you to read the seven novels of the witcher saga. You'll be introduced to witchers, to the world, to the monsters and the conjuction of spheres with its proliferation of magical powers. The focus will be narrowed, characters will be developed and drama will be born in the process. It'll go uber, sure, for, what saga doesn't eventually do that?

Fret not, the saga will pick up from its text and move into the media. The witcher I, I found, was something faux pas because the "I'm geralt the witcher and I've lost my memory because you didn't read the *gasp* books" was a bit harsh.

If we want to consider however, that you have no intention whatsoever of partying with people, being consumed with some narrative some story, well then if you can suffer the first game, which atleast ended with geralt being named the vicar of the wraith of death, you can continue the story in the second game. Projekt Red, whatever might be said of the witcher I, has made awesome improvement on the witcher II. I admire that kind of progress. They brought the characters from the saga into the media. Dandelion could have been better served, who was the bard, but the real problem with playing the witcher series was how to do quests. Geralt is a witcher, he kills monsters. Geralt kills monsters for coin because he's a witcher. He's not political, he's a womanizer and the narrative structure of an RPG seemed to be confining, though, the job was well done.

Moving along, with purpose, Projekt Red coded the witcher III and if you want to do something that involves RP and not grouping then just throw yourself into this saga. It's great. It's not an MMO though. If you want to play an MMO then you're obliged to group and socialize, however that drama might play out. Maybe you can tell a story about some saga you've seen, it's another matter to be in a saga among friends. That's what I miss and that's the vision you've been blinded to.

I'm not saying Pantheon is a harbinger of good times RPG, i'm merely suggesting that it's better suited to the task since its focus is community, cooperation, and some mother clucking down time.

P.S. I again apologize to the WoW players who suffered early quests and contributed gold with me. Your passion for wow has merit in your respect. I found WoW wanting because it wasn't like EQ1 where, in the greater faydark, at ork hill, you understood the game was about tactician grouping and the rest is a nature documentary. --and ofcourse, nature isn't about the evolved, but the evolving. ...clearly nature is about something, but i digress. I wonder what echos of time we should hear when its the tracks of the train that meet at the horizon?

“But I beneath a rougher sea,
And whelmed in deeper gulfs than he.”

Board index » 1st Fist of Light Forums » Other Games